Saturday, September 19, 2009

First week of SCHOOL!!!!

Hello friends!!
Today is Saturday and we've just completed an entire week of pre-school!!!
First of all, let me tell you, we all survived... two of us actually had FUN, one of us drove a gazillion times back and forth but we all survived it!

My boys going to school is a huuuuge deal people; it is the first time in four years, I gave been in any kind of schedule that does not revolve around the kids. Also it is the first time if four years that they are not home for a few hours and my time IS really MY time. There are no interruptions, I can concentrate, I can plan and execute and work...
At least in theory.. because the first 3 days weren't going so well.
Monday was ok but I was behind on errands so I spent the entire time the boys were in school, getting those done.
Tuesday I had to go early to introduce Anna (the therapist) to their teacher because Anna will be picking the boys up twice a week for their therapy (since the Center is next to the school).
On Wednesday we had a horrid day; John bit a girl and his teacher and Cody had such a huge meltdown, I was forced to pick them up early. The next day I was told it's best if they didn't stay overtime because Cody couldn't handle it. Two teachers and the principal (former teacher and the kindest person on earth) couldn't calm him down. He wanted mommy :(

Thursday was better, except, Therapy again and Friday was the only day I really DID have all to myself and got some work done!!
Unfortunately by 10pm, my eyes were drooping. A whole week's worth of getting up at 6.30am really got to me and by 10.30 I was out like a Christmas light!

It is a big change for us and the boys but a positive one I'd like to think.
An amazing thing happened this week right off the bat. The boys are playing by themselves. They are in the house, and they are playing all alone... the two of them. Quietly (mostly).
We've been trying to get this to happen forever... one week of school and they are pros!
I kept thinking back to when I was a kid; I used to play alone... but then I remembered that during the day, there was a ton of other kids to play with.
You could walk out of the house, into the front yard and into the street and play with other kids.
My kids can't do that. We live in an apartment building and there are no other kids to play with here. No wonder they didn't know how to play on their own, with each other and they wanted mommy there all the time.
But already they have gone from winning for mommy all day, to playing on their own and interacting.

I am looking forward to more days like Friday when I do my routine and have time to work. I am looking forward to going to all their school stuff, baking cakes for the class and the bazaars and just being a regular mommy for once, not a crazed one.
I am SO looking forward to meeting new moms and making a few friends.. God, I miss friends! No offense to my online friends, I mean local friends, that I can go over for coffee and do stuff with...
School rocks!

No comments: