Monday, April 11, 2005

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No... it's a blob!!

The time: Tuesday afternoon 5th April, 5w 1d along
The place: OB/GYN's waiting room
Starring: Tina and George, newly pregnant, and baby Blob (later renamed "Jellybean")

Why is the traffic worse, why can't you find a place to park, why is the doctor late, when you have the most crucial appointments?? We scrambled, cursed the traffic and drove around in circles trying to find a place to park only to arrive sweaty and panting... and forced to wait because the doctor was late. It took an hour until the lady before us finished her visit. What on earth were they talking about? She must have been 55 or 60, what on earth did she want with an OB anyway?? asked my 27 year old brain...

But then our turn came and I forgot all about it.
For those wondering, my 3rd beta came back at 1202! It should have been at least 730 if you remember from last time. Over 1000 you *should* be able to see the baby...
Hubby looked uncomfortable but the doctor soon made him feel better. Then it was time to get ready and start the scan.

The following minutes went by, really, really slowly... I suppose on the outside both me and hubby looked calm (he was wearing his poker face!!) but on the inside my brain was racing, my heart was about to flatline and all I could think of was "please, please be there"... but there was nothing there...
There was my uterus, this white thing on the screen but it was empty. The doc pushed on my belly as he commented it might still be early. Usually, he said, you see something over 1800 units.
No, no doc, I thought. Its 1000 units. Don't try to make me feel better. Where is my baby? There is no baby!!! George's face had gone ashen...
But then one twist of the probe and there it was! My blob! My baby!! In the perfect position!!
I let out my breath which I was holding all this time. The doc smiled and zoomed in. I said out loud "hi baby"... and I thought "please don't leave me".
Right next to our big blob baby was this smaller blob. The baby that didn't make it... but the doc moved the probe quickly and focused on the bigger, more healthy blob...

All smiles I got dressed, booked my next appointment and thanked the doctor, the fear of an ectopic pregnancy gone from mind...

My joy was short lived. We had conquered a milestone, but it was just one.
Our next appointment would check for a heart... and it was 9 days away!!

Maybe I should have asked God for something else... A selective memory wipe!! that way I could get my innosence back and not think about miscarriage...

Hugs
Tina

No comments: